Gaelic Affairs works with government and other partners to advance the linguistic, cultural and economic development of Nova Scotia’s Gaelic community. This includes acting as a liaison between government and the community, providing and helping to access resources, and collaborating with regional and international groups to promote the Gaelic experience in Nova Scotia.
The role of Gaelic Affairs
The work of Gaelic Affairs is focused on the renewal of Gaelic so that it remains a vital part of Nova Scotia. This involves facilitating the learning and passing on of the Gaelic language and creating greater appreciation of Gaelic culture.
The role of Gaelic Affairs includes:
- Promoting Gaelic's value and contribution to the province
- Supporting innovative language and cultural programs that meet the needs of the Gaelic community
- Facilitating dialogue with government and community partners on strategies and policies that support Gaelic development
- Creating learning materials for use by instructors and Gaelic learners
- Training for Gaelic instructors
- Assisting and supporting community initiatives and projects
- Providing translation services
- Collaborating with international partners to increase Gaelic learning opportunities and cultural exchange
Gaelic Language in the Community Program
This program assists non-profit organizations with projects to increase opportunities for people to learn and speak Gaelic and promote greater interest and involvement in Gaelic language and culture. Activities can include language classes, Gaelic immersion, workshops and other cultural initiatives.
Application due dates: 15 June and 15 November
Bun is Bàrr (Root and Branch) Mentoring Programs
Gaelic Affairs offers and supports Gaelic mentoring programs that provide Gaelic learners with opportunities to improve their Gaelic language and cultural competency. Based on a social learning model, the programming matches learners with fluent speakers who use Gaelic in every-day, social and cultural situations. It strives to create Gaelic speakers that practice, share, celebrate and champion Gaelic language and culture in Nova Scotia. Contact us to learn more about Gaelic language and cultural mentoring in Nova Scotia.
Gàidhlig Le Luathas
This outreach program is designed to boost the language skills of individuals through an immersion approach to language learning.
Contact us to learn more about the program.